Digital marketing can be as easy as ABC or, in reality, as easy as EAT. EAT stands for expertise, authority and trust, and these are the top three factors used by search engines like Google to rank your website. Here’s a look at what EAT represents as well as why it matters for your digital marketing strategy at large.
Why EAT Matters for Your Digital Marketing Strategy and How to Improve Your EAT Factors:
In 2018, Google released a broad core algorithm update (dubbed the Medic Algorithm Update), which affected the search engine results page (SERP) rankings for both local and organic searches. While there was no specific mention of context for the update or what the update was for, the online community soon theorised that this update was focused on ranking websites according to the quality of their content based on EAT measurements.
As a service provider, Google’s main aim is to provide excellent search results for its users. From this perspective, it makes sense that Google (and other search engines) would reward sites that make it easy to provide relevant, updated and trustworthy information to their users.
This is where EAT factors come in. Google uses expertise, authority and trust as measurements to determine how high to rank your website in search results to give its users the best possible information. EAT factors are especially important when looking at YMYL (your money, your life) sites, which are sites that provide information to users that can affect their health, wealth, happiness or financial stability. EAT matters to your digital marketing strategy because you want to rank highly on the SERP so all your potential clients can find and support you – instead of your competition.
How to improve your EAT factors:
- Create high-quality, relevant and reliable content by doing proper research, collaborating with established writers, referencing sources and editing your content to be accurate and up to date.
- Establish your authority by displaying the credentials of your writers and by linking them to their professional networking pages (such as LinkedIn). You can also display your business or site’s awards and memberships.
- Research topics that your audience will benefit from and publish your findings for the larger community to access and benefit from.
- Create content that your audience will find truly useful.
- Use SSL for your website
- Make it easy for clients to get in touch with a staff member who can answer their queries or assist them with issues they might experience.
These tips will help you to improve the value offering you present to your clients. It will also help to support your SEO best practices as well as the quality service you already offer to your clients to improve the results from your digital marketing strategy. For support on digital marketing activities, which include social media marketing, content marketing and SEO, contact WSI OMS today.