Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a long term process. There are dirty tricks that you can do to increase your website visibility fast but they usually only work for a short time and you risk the fact that your website could be penalized by the search engines. Most of these tricks are also known as Black hat SEO.
This is the second part in a series and this post focuses on things you shouldn’t do on your website. Find the first part of the series here: Part 1: SEO tipson things to do for your website.
This is a list of SEO tacticts that you should avoid unless you want to lower your search engine rankings.
12 SEO steps you NEVER should do:
- Keywords: Don’t “keyword stuff” your meta tags, image alt tags, etc. Use only those keywords specific to that page, that image, etc.
- MetaTags: Don’t use the same title on every page. The same applies to keywords and description tags. If you use the same title on every page, it shows that your content isn’t unique. Don’t include keywords in your META tags that are not present in your content.
- Site Structure: Don’t use extensive folders and subfolders in your site structure, spiders like relatively flat websites.
- Hidden Text: Don’t hide keywords on your page with lightly-colored or hidden text. Search engines detect this and quickly penalize or ban your website from their search results.
- Good Content: Don’t fill your pages with content that is filled with keywords but lacks any really quality, meaning or message. Write your content for users.
- Duplicate Content: Don’t create multiple pages, sub domains and other websites using duplicate content. These will be quickly discounted or penalized by the search engines.
- Auto Generated Content: Don’t use services that claim to supply content automatically for your website. This easy solution generally duplicates the same content onto sites all over the web.
- Alt Tag Stuffing: Don’t add unnecessary or repetitive keywords into the Alt Tag (seen when you hover over an image with your curser). It is OK to use keywords that appropriately describe the image
- Linking: Don’t participate in link schemes designed only to increase your site’s ranking or PageRank. Linking must be highly relevant to your topic and be of benefit your visitors.
- Quick Fix: Don’t seek an instant quick fix. SEO is a long-term process, not a method to trick the search engines.