Are you busy designing a new blog or planning to get one? Blogs should be graphically simple and designed for maximum exposure. When a visitor arrives to your blog, they should immediately understand the topic of your blog and find the information that they are after. After all, a blog is about sharing information.
Find below 12 tips when you are designing a new blog:
- What is the blog’s purpose?: Make the purpose of the blog clear. Choose a title and a subtitle that will reveal what you are writing about.
- Who will be your audience?: Consider who will be your audience when designing your new blog. If you have a technical audience, focus on technical content and less design.
- What platform will the blog be on? There’s lots of blogging platforms to choose from. Blogger and WordPress.com offer easy and free to set-up blogs hosted on their Servers. WordPress can also be installed if you host it on your own server and you plan specific keywords for your domain excluding the trailing .wordpres or .blogger domain name.
- Choose the layout: The layout plays an important role in any blog. Place key information where it is immediately visible. Make your navigation easily accessible.
- Keeping it simple is best: You can add widgets, categories, advertisements, search boxes, newsletters, etc to the layout. Do not overdo it. Make sure your visitors can still read your content and not be distracted by anything that is not valuable to your new blog.
- Header of the blog: Avoid too large header graphics that will push the content down of your blog. Keep it simple with your blog name and add a photo or two.
- Background: Use white backgrounds for your blog posts so that it will be easy for reading.
- Search your blog: Add some search functionality for your blog. Once your blog becomes populated with all your content and categories, the search functionality will make it easy to find information.
- About the writers: Include a brief introduction about who your are and why you are writing the blog. This is a good way to build creditability and trust.
- Include categories on your blog: Have clear and understandable categories. Your readers will search for related blog postings. A category widget cloud allows you to display your main topics quickly.
- Browser check: Test your blog in different browsers. It is always a good idea to look at your blog in different browsers to make sure that it looks the way you want it to.
- Commenting: Enable people to post comments on your blog. t is OK to moderate to prevent Spam comments, but interaction with your readers is what makes a blog effective.