More and more people are spending the majority of their online time using their mobile devices, especially social media sites. Mobile users tend to share content twice as much as they do from a desktop computer. With this in mind, it’s no surprise then that social media marketers are focusing a lot of their attention on how to optimise their social posts for mobile users.
Here are some very interesting statistics on the trend of mobile usage:
- Mobile digital media time is now up to 51%, compared to desktop (42%)
- The percentage of customers using mobile devices to search the internet:
- 91% laptop
- 80% smartphone
- 47% tablet
- 37% games console
- Emerging devices used to search the internet:
- 34% smart TV
- 9% smart watch
- 7% smart wristband
- Apps vs mobile site usage:
- 89% app
- 11% mobile web
- Mobile ad spending is still lagging behind, despite growth in mobile media time
The implications are crystal clear- if you’re not reaching your audience through mobile search or display, you will miss out to competitors who are. Mobile apps are also a growing business – companies now have to decide whether to develop mobile apps or restrict themselves to mobile optimised sites.
Some tips for mobile social marketing success:
- Make sure your pinned posts are relevant to mobile users.
- If you are aiming video at Facebook, target users connected via Wi-Fi.
- Make sure your content looks good in mobile feeds before posting it.
- Make sure your content is easily shared from mobile devices.
- If you post a link, make sure it’s to a mobile friendly page.
People don’t want stripped down content – they want quick and easy access to whatever they need, regardless of the device they’re using.
Technology is moving at a scary pace, with people happy to gallop along. If you’re finding it all a bit much, or need to take another look at your mobile marketing strategy, contact us. We’re keeping up.