Twitter is one of the most used social media channels today. If you haven’t heard about Twitter before, here is a brief description of it. Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read messages known as Tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the author’s profile page and delivered to the author’s followers.
You can get quite allot of information into 140 characters or less and find a couple of tips below in 140 characters or less to do it.
- Twitter is one of the most popular social networking applications on the web and it continues to grow each day.
- It allows up to 140 characters to Tweet. Keep it short so to be re-tweeted easily. It adds about 15-30 characters depending on your name.
- Write each word like it matters and omit needless words.
- Listen, watch and learn before you Tweet. You will get most of your tips from others and how they respond.
- Follow others to see how they are using Twitter. Learn from your competitors. You can also follow potential clients.
- Learn what others care about. Share thoughts more than actions. Share links, ideas and ask questions. Answer questions as well.
- Communicate and interact with others. Build relationships. Reach out and be part of your online community.
- Provide value with special promotions, interesting news and contests. Give others a reason to follow you.
- Keep your Tweets short and simple. The key to Twitter is efficiency. Get right to the point. Before you send, think.
- Use word shortcuts. With = “w/”. Love = “Luv”. Re-Tweeting = “RT”. Characters = “Chars”.
- Add ASCII art to make your Tweets stand out. Looking at you: ô¿ô Monkey @(‘_’)@ Fish Swimming ¸.•´¯`•.´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(((º>
- Your Twitter voice should reflect your company culture. Tweets are not really directed at anyone but visible to everyone.
- Follow people you admire. Read what they are Tweeting about. This could be a good source for inspiration.
- With Twitter, it’s not about YOU; it’s about others, it’s about helping, sharing, having interesting exchanges, and community.
- Use a URL shorten service like Bit.ly to shorten the links you would like to include on your Tweets.