Most of your clients are reading and are participating using social media. Social Media is in such a high use today that every business should be blending Social Media Marketing (SMM) into their existing marketing strategies. How do you get started using Social Media? The first step in any SMM campaign should be setting up goals on what you want to accomplish.
Before you start with any SMM initiative, you always need to establish your goals first. What do you want to accomplish with your Social Media strategy? How will SMM going to help your business? Quite a lot of companies venturing into the Social Media playing field have a hard time understanding this because they do not clearly understand what is possible with Social Media.
Just to get your thinking hats on:
The Social Media Opportunity
- On Facebook there are more than 500 million users. If Facebook were a country, it would have been the 3rd largest in the world.
- By looking at the top 10 highest traffic websites by Alexa, 5 of those are Social Media Sites (Facebook, YouTube, Blogger, WikiPedia, Twitter).
- Millions of videos are watched every month on YouTube.
Find below a couple of goals that we are using with our Social Media Marketing strategy.
Social Media Goals
- Measure and monitor the number of mentions of company name and brand online.
- Gain a better understanding of how your targeted audience and existing clients feels about your company and brand.
- Develop and build relationships with your current clients.
- Increase brand awareness.
- Increase your organic search engine listings.
- Generate more quality sales leads.
So now you have an idea on setting up your Social Media Marketing Goals. Where do you start and what are the next steps?
How do you start your SMM campaign?
Your first step should always be listening and monitoring. By listening, you will see where the buzz is happening at the moment and where your targeted audience spends their time socially online. The next step will be to choose specific Social Media channels that you can use such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
There are thousands of different Social Media channels you can use. Always start small and stay focused. Measure your results and make adjustments where needed. When you are comfortable with your Social Media Marketing campaign, expand it.