Twitter allows you to follow your interests and get instant updates from your friends, industry experts, favourite celebrities and what’s happening around the world. So for those of you who has yet to create a Twitter account, here is a quick step by step guide as explained by Twitter.
Step 1: Sign Up
Go to twitter.com, enter your full name and click “Sign up”.
Step 2: Choose your username
Usernames must be 15 characters or less and cannot contain ‘admin’ or ‘twitter’. Use your real name or pick something that describes you – whether it’s a nickname, an interest or a hobby.
Step 3: Choose your password
Choose a complicated password that is not obvious.
Step 4: Email address
A confirmation email will be sent to this email address to confirm your Twitter account, so use an email address you actively use.
Step 5: Prove you are human
Fill in the Captcha to prove to Twitter that you are not a robot.
Step 6: Find interesting sources
Select some of your interests from the top of the screen, or scroll through the interests listed below that. If you find an account that is of interest to you, click the “Follow” button. Continue the search and select more accounts that are of interest to you.
When finished, click the blue ‘Next: friends’ button.
Step 7: Find friends
- You can let Twitter scan your email address book in order to find contacts that are also using Twitter. It’s a fast and easy way to find your friends, if you would like to do so.
- Type your email address and your email password into the boxes and click ‘Find friends.’
- Choose the friends you would like to follow by clicking the grey ‘send request’ button next to their information
When finished click the ‘Next: others’ button.
A box will pop-up with your remaining contacts who are not on Twitter. To invite them to join Twitter, check the boxes next to the contacts you wish to invite – or click “select all” at the top.
Step 8: Twitter Search
- You can also search for anyone else you would like to add on Twitter.
- Type the name of the person you’re searching for into the search box.
- Tweets related to your query will show in the centre of the page. A list of matching accounts will show on the right hand side of your screen.
- Click the Follow button next to any you wish to begin Following. A confirmation message will appear.