To attract more visitors to your website is the ultimate goal in Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Everyone agrees that organic search results is more effective for conversion and producing positive results.
Websites that have a higher organic search ranking are usually more trusted by people for a service or product and it shows that the website has authority.
This post is the first part in a series where I will be discussing things to do for the optimization of your website.
12 Search Engine Optimization steps to do:
- Research: Start your SEO campaign with keyword research. Select key phrases that are highly relevant to the services that your business provides. Specific key phrases with 3-4 words are best if you want visitors that are ready to buy.
- Structure: Use keywords in your domain name, page names, titles, headings, folder names, etc.
- Navigation:Use keywords in your navigation links. Make your website easy to navigate for both search engines and for visitors. Include a XML sitemap if your website navigation is complex.
- META Tags: Use keywords and key phrases in the title, description and keyword tags. Each page in your website should have about 4 keyword phrases that are highly relevant to the content found on that page.
- Content: Use keywords in your content. Use keywords 1-2 times in the top 25% of the text.
- Local: Take advantage of local search opportunities by using your city, state and community names in your body text and on your contact page.
- Valid Code: Validate your code and remove coding errors. These errors interfere with spiders crawling your site and they affect browser compatibility and usability. There are many online code validation websites available.
- XML Sitemap: Include a XML sitemap for your website and submit the sitemap to Google Webmaster tools and Yahoo Site Explorer.
- Links: Gain backlinks to your website from highly relevant blogs, authority sites, directories and other websites that are part of your industry.
- Blog: Start a blog either as part of your website or on a separate domain. Link to relevant pages on your website using your keyword phrases. Comment and participate on other blogs.
- Web Analytics: Install website analytics on your website to monitor progress. Watch not only your overall visitor count, but which keyword phrases are bringing visitors and from which search engines.
- Patience: Do learn patience. Search engine optimization is a long term commitment.
Part 2 will be covered in the next post where it will focus on what you should never do in your website.