Salescycle.com took sales and online shopping cart abandonment data from their clients during last year’s Christmas shopping season to draw a number of important digital marketing insights:
- The highest sales volumes during the festive season are on Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
- Sales volumes peaked around the 14th of December, perhaps as this is one of the last days that online shoppers felt would give online sellers enough time to ship their gifts before Christmas Day. A second, smaller peak took place on the 19th of December.
- Their statistics showed interesting splits between the different devices used for shopping in December. Desktop traffic volume for retailers is very close to that of mobile (50% vs 41%).
- Mobile web design has improved a lot over the past few years, but online sellers still need to focus on improving their online checkout processes.
We know that the online shopping frenzy is already upon us and that big website changes aren’t necessarily possible for your business. But, there are still a few things that you can do to boost your online sales this season. Consider the following tips:
- Offer free shipping.
- Tell online shoppers how long it will take you to ship their gifts. If you are able to deliver products within three or four days, then this is something that needs to be communicated to potential buyers so that they feel comfortable buying something from you right before Christmas.
- Consider offering a gift-wrapping service and sending the gift directly to the recipient for the seller.
- Offer bulk discounts.
- Launch an email marketing campaign to tell all your existing clients about your Christmas sales and promotions.