When searching for a local business on Google, there are 7 Google Map listings that appear. According to the big boys (Google),97% of consumers searches online for local businesses. Listings are free for any business with a physical address. Businesses that makes in person contact with customers qualify for a Google Places listing.
On Google Places, the listings are optimized for smartphones. If you don’t have a mobile site, or if your website is not mobile optimized, then this is the perfect free tool to get mobile visibility for your business.
These listings appear in addition to your normal website listings on the SERP’s (search engine result pages). Once again, Google offers this service for free so get started with your Google Places listing.
How to add your Google Places listing
- Business Name: This is your business name. Don’t add extra keywords to your name
- Location: Use your business actual address. Never use a PO Box. Don’t create multiple listings if you service multiple areas from your location. If you are, designate service areas.
- Phone: Use your local phone number for your business.
- Website: Add your website address.
- Categories: Select up to 5 categories that describes your business. Select the best categories from the drop down. You can also use your own keyword categories, but do some research by searching for those keywords first in Google with your city name to make sure a map listing will appear with that keyword.
- Description: Use the description fields to include a description about your business. You can also use keywords in your description and the custom attribute field.
When using Google Places, make your listing as complete as possible. Answer all the questions on the entry form on Google Places and include your hours of operation and methods of payment. Upload videos and images as well to make your listing complete.
Contact us if you need help in setting up your Google Places listing.