SEO is a key part of every digital marketing strategy and campaign. If you want to become an SEO professional, you need to understand not only search engine optimisation (SEO), but also the services that complement SEO such as social media marketing and content marketing.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is necessary for potential customers to find you on the internet and to be considered ‘relevant’ by major search engines such as Google. SEO requires keyword research, keyword placement and high-quality, engaging website content. Local search, through which customers in your local area can find you – as well as Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising – also form part of SEO.
What skills does an SEO professional need?
There are eight top skills every SEO professional needs:
- Critical thinking to understand the steps required towards a solution.
- The ability to do keyword research and write content.
- Technical and programming knowledge to understand what the developer is thinking.
- Social skills to get along with others, build relationships and learn new things.
- Knowledge of Adobe or Google Analytics to pull data and a basic understanding of business KPIs.
- Be good with Excel to manipulate data for the insights you need.
- Adaptability, motivation and drive to put the client first and build revenue.
- A sense of humour to not let the fast pace of the industry get you down.
What makes social media marketing and content marketing important to SEO?
High-quality, engaging content on websites and social media platforms, done regularly, results in search engines recognising these pages as a valuable content-rich site. By optimising this content with relevant keywords, organic (free) focused traffic will be driven to the specific website or social media pages. “
A social media marketing strategy must be well-thought-out and be accompanied by conscious online reputation management. Contact us today to find out how WSI OMS can help your South African business with SEO.