As the year draws to a close and millions of companies and employees wind down operations for the festive period, let’s have a look at 2014 social media trends and what to look forward to in the New Year. Many brands have come to understand the impact that social media can have on their companies. However there are still many who are dealing with the challenges that accompanies this reality.
Some of the challenges that these businesses face include:
- Demonstrating an ROI of their social media initiatives,
- Allocating sufficient human capital and financial resources,
- Reorganizing their corporate structures to deal with user-generated content and customer social media participation, to name a few.
Here are a few of the top social media trends that will impact the way you market your company online in 2014:
- Facebook is down, Twitter is up: For many years Facebook has dominated the social media scene, with many viewing Twitter as a distant runner up. However, times are changing. But don’t count Facebook’s 1.18 billion users out just yet. Yet Twitter, on the brink of becoming a public company will attract many latent users into becoming active users again.
- Snapchat Marketing: For those not familiar with Snapchat yet, this trendy and smart mobile app sends messages such as short video, photos and text, called snaps, that auto-destructs in a short amount of time. This can be anywhere between one t ten seconds, depending on the app’s settings. As of May 2013, more than 5 million Snapchat users were uploading more than 160 million photos per day.
- Google+: A recent study performed indicated that Google+ now has more than 540 million active users, which puts them worldwide just behind Facebook. This social media platform is still evolving and will be the platform to watch in 2014.